CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Matthew 6:18-20

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven...For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Why does it feel like everything in this world is based on competition? And why do our wants and desires in this world destroy our motives of a pure, God-filled lifestyle? I don't know how many times I have made complaints about what I don't have in comparison to others. I have also found myself begin to despise others who look "better" or are more "popular" than myself. I have become so accustomed to a world of WANT as opposed to need. This passage in Matthew talks about the danger of storing up earthly treasures and I used to think it only meant "things." But, verse 20 proves those thoughts completely wrong. "Wherever your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Just like 2+3=5 and 3+2=5 as well; where your treasure is, your heart will be and where your heart is, your treasure will be also. Your treasures are not just the tangible things in life, they are anything that you invest yourself into. Anything that your heart desires. So, when Jesus says not to store up earthly treasures, I think He was reminding us to spend a lot less of our energy comparing ourselves to others, and investing our thoughts in what others think about us, or focusing so much on ourselves that we miss opportunities to serve, love, and witness to others. Our treasures and our hearts are so important to God. He doesn't want to lose them forever. So, invest more of yourself into things that bring glory to the One who gave us life!

"Lord, I give you my heart
And the treasures it stores
To use it for Your kingdom
forevermore!"

0 comments: